As small as they are, these creatures require just as much care as regular-sized pet, if not even more! Before you decide to adopt or pick up a small pet, make sure you learn how to properly care for each of these pets and ensure you know what to look out for. That’s why we are here to help you make that decision and teach you some tricks and tips to give them the most love and care that they deserve. Call us today at 204-728-0033.
Are pocket pets recommended if you have children?
A little pet can be a great family addition. However, it depends on the specific pet in question. Whereas some pets are nippier, others are more calm and gentle with kids. Do your research before committing by asking the following questions:
- What type of housing does the pet need?
- What will the pet eat?
- How much exercise and interaction do they need?
- When will they be most active?
- What type of veterinary care will they need?
If you are ever unsure if a specific pocket pet is suited for your household, feel free to give us a call!
How do I care for pocket pets?
Pocket pets, such as hamsters, guinea pigs, rabbits, and rats, require specific care to maintain their health and well-being. Here are some tips to care for them:
- Provide a suitable habitat: They require a habitat that is appropriate for their size and species. Make sure it is clean, safe, and provides plenty of space to move around and play
- Feed a balanced diet: Consult with your veterinarian to determine the best type of food for your pet, and make sure they have access to fresh water at all times
- Provide exercise and stimulation
- Monitor for signs of illness: Common signs of illness include lethargy, loss of appetite, and changes in behaviour
- Practice good hygiene: Clean their habitat regularly, and provide access to appropriate bedding materials to keep them clean and comfortable
- Schedule regular veterinary checkups